Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Teashop Girls by Laura Schaefer

Schaefer, Laura. The Teashop Girls. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2008.

Convincing her grandmother to let her work in the teashop, The Steeping Leaf, was the easy part. Annie's always loved the teashop. She and her two best friends were "The Teashop Girls" growing up. Now, she's working there as a barista. The Leaf is in trouble. Business is slow and the bills are piling up. Annie's grandmother is served an eviction notice. Can Annie and the Teashop Girls save the Leaf?

What I thought: I loved, loved, loved this book. Any girl or woman who has close friends will appreciate this tale of friendship. The teashop setting is a bonus. I've been a tea drinker since I was Annie's age. I never went to a teashop or held tea parties, but I appreciate the warmth and relaxation that is a cup of tea (preferably herbal). I enjoyed Annie's enterprising crusade to save The Steeping Leaf. I think this book would make a great selection for a mother-daughter book club. I love that the book includes recipes. It makes it easier to plan your tea for the book discussion.

No comments: