Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Pearl Among Princes by Coleen Murtagh Paratore


Gracepearl is tired of life on Miramore. She longs to journey across the sea. The only problem is the only boats belong to the princes who come each summer for training. To get off the island, Pearl must find herself a prince. Sir Richard might do, but her friend Lu likes him. Or there's Sir Peter. But her friend Nuff likes him.

Gracepearl has always felt like there's more to the world than Miramore. As her sixteenth birthday approaches, she discovers the truth about herself and a way off the island that doesn't involve a prince.

What I thought: I didn't even know this book was coming out. I'm a big fan of Paratore's Wedding Planner's Daughter series. Setting wise, this is quite a departure for her. Fantasy as opposed to modern realism. Miramore Island instead of Cape Cod. However, I find A Pearl Among Princes to be quite similar to the Wedding Planner's Daughter series. Willa and Pearl both love the sea and live near it. They also both like to read and/or appreciate the written word. I loved the nursery rhymes that head each chapter. The mystery of who Pearl is was well written. I didn't know until Paratore revealed it. I don't like predictable books. This one wasn't Highly recommended to fairy tale fans.

(New York: Dial, 2009)

No comments: