Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dear Pen Pal by Heather Vogel Frederick


(Mother-Daughter Book Club Book #3)

Emma, Jess, Megan, and Cassidy are now eighth-graders. Things change for the girls this year. Jess goes to local boarding school. Cassidy has to deal with her sister leaving for college and her mom's pregnancy. The book club is still going strong. This year, they are reading Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster. They acquire pen pals in Wyoming. The book club expands to include a grandmother and a friend. Can the girls survive all these changes?

What I thought: Brilliant as usual. Ms. Frederick writes from the heart about these girls. Reading about them reminds me of my own middle school years. Love the book club reading selection. So far it's three out of three of my favorite books. I wonder what they'll read next? Perhaps A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter. Elnora starts high school in that book. They might also consider March by Geraldine Brooks. At fourteen, they should be able to handle the complex issues in it. Wait, I have it! They're going to read something by Jane Austen. But which one? My favorites are Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and Emma.
(New York: Simon & Schuster, 2009)

No comments: