Friday, April 23, 2010

Reading Ramona Take 2

Book 2: Ramona the Pest
First published in 1968
8 chapters, 192 pages (New York: Dell Yearling)
Illustrated by Louis Darling

Look out Glenwood Elementary! Ramona Quimby is five-years-old and starting kindergarten. Will Ramona survive her first year of school? Will the school survive Ramona?

Another great book about Ramona and company. Such a quick, easy read and so entertaining. Beverly Cleary's goal was to write books about "kids like us" and she has definitely succeeded. My favorite part in the book was the Halloween parade. Such fun! My granny made all my costumes growing up. I was a wizard, a prairie girl, a colonial girl, a school teacher, an old lady and I can't remember what else, but I remember what fun dressing up was.

My favorite quote: "She was a girl who could not wait. Life was so interesting she had to fin out what happened next" (page 11, Chapter 1: Ramona's Great Day).

Up next, book 3: Ramona the Brave.

Just a reminder the movie Ramona and Beezus opens on July 23. Only 13 more weeks to go!

No comments: