Friday, April 30, 2010

Steady Hands: Poems about Work by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer

In this collection, Zimmer offers readers an inside look at many professions including electrician, librarian, florist, and filmmaker. Using third person narration, Zimmer seems to take on the persona of each profession.

What I thought: A great collection! Every poem was a surprise. I’d be interested to know how much research Zimmer did for the collection. My favorite poems were “Writer,” “Librarian,” and “Florist.” I love how Zimmer disregards gender roles. The electrician is a woman. The librarian is a guy. I think teachers and home schooling parents will find this collection particularly useful. I have an urge to write my own profession poem. I loved the illustrations. They suited each poem perfectly.

(Illus. Megan Halsey & Sean Addy. New York: Clarion, 2009)

No comments: