Monday, August 9, 2010

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Sophie Mercer is a witch. If that isn't enough of a hassle, she also has problems controlling her powers. Her latest attempt at a love spell ends with her sentenced to attend Hex Hall, a reform school for witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Life at Hex Hall isn't easy. Her roommate is the only vampire on campus. She upsets the most powerful witches at school. She crushes on the unattainable warlock. Hex Hall is turning into Hex Hell. Can Sophie survive her sentence there?

What I thought: An engrossing book and I felt like the story wasn't overdone. So many YA books these days (thank you, Twilight) have a paranormal bent. I don't mind this, but I expect the books to be original and well written. I think Rachel Hawkins has accomplished this with Hex Hall. The back story isn't overly complicated. We all know about witches, faeries, shapeshifters, vampires, and demons. We also get the concept of boarding or reform school. I also appreciated the mystery in the book. It wasn't predictable and at the end, I didn't feel confused over the conclusion. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

(New York: Hyperion, March 2010. ARC provided by publisher.)

No comments: