Monday, August 30, 2010

Noonie's Masterpiece by Lisa Railsback

Noonie Norton is an artist. She means to be a famous artist, but she realizes that most artists don't become famous until they die. Nevertheless, Noonie wants us to know about her and her art. Right now, she's ten-years-old and she's already had a Blue Period (which coincided with her mother's death), and she is just starting her Purple Period. We leave Noonie at the beginning of her Polka-Dot period. Throughout it all, Noonie is outspoken and endearing. She learns what a family is and that appearances are deceiving.

What I thought: I've enjoyed books about young artist ever since I read Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff. Noonie's Masterpiece was no different. I was entertained from page one. Noonie comes across as much more sophisticated than her ten years, but I suppose we need to make allowances for circumstances and artistic temperaments. I loved all the relationships and interactions in the book. My favorite was Noonie's friendship with Reno. They make great friends. I liked the illustrations. They looked exactly like a talented young artist drew them. They definitely enhanced my enjoyment of the book.

(Illus. Sarajo Frieden. San Fransisco: Chronicle, April 2010. ARC provided by publisher.)

No comments: