Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling

Year 6 at Hogwarts
First published 2005
652 pages, 30 chapters
#29 on Adele of Persnickety Snark's Top 100 YA Novels

With Sirius dead and Voldemort at large, the mood isn't very cheery at Hogwarts for Harry. Dumbledore takes him in hand to teach him more about Voldemort. He discovers the book of someone calling him or herself the "Half-Blood Prince." Harry's next to final year at Hogwarts is filled with change and mysteries.

Memorable Moments: Harry's jealousy over Ginny's other boyfriends

Scenes I wish had made the movie: More of Dumbledore and Harry's travels into Voldemort's past

Reflection: Half-Blood Prince was the only Harry Potter book that I stood in line for. My best friend Vicky and I went to Wal-mart at midnight to get our copies. When they brought the pallet of books out, Vicky went to get ours. I watched her literally get swallowed by the crowd. I read this one in two days. If I hadn't had to work the following day, I would have stayed up to read it. This book was sad for more than one reason. Yes, Dumbledore died, but more than that the series is almost over. Will Harry live or die? What happens to the readers when the series is complete. I'll admit right now that I have yet to find anything to surpass Harry Potter.

I hope you've enjoyed my discussion of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I'll be back next week to talk about the last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

No comments: