Friday, October 15, 2010

The Runaway Dragon by Kate Coombs

After Meg's triumph against princes and parents in The Runaway Princess, she's settled down to palace life with a few improvements. She enjoys magic and sword lessons, but still has to suffer through royal etiquette classes. Her desire to go on a quest is expediated where her dragon Laddy runs away. With the faithful help of her friends Dilly, Nort, and Lex, Meg sets off to find her dragon. An enchanted forest separates the friends, but that doesn't stop Meg. She has a dragon to rescue.

What I thought: Another rousing installment in Princess Meg's adventures. I liked everything about this book--the new characters (Spinach, anyone?), the twist at the end, and the reappearance of the irresistible Bain. I love the interaction that takes place between Meg, Dilly, Nort, and Lex. They are true friend. I also enjoyed Kate's note about fairy tales. The only tale I picked up on was Rapunzel. Excuse me while I go read the others she mentioned. My view of fairy tales just keeps growing. One of these days, I'm going to write my own.

Highly recommended for fairy tale fans. In other words, if you like Simon Pulse's Once Upon a Time series and Michael Buckley's Sisters Grimm series, chances are you'll like The Runaway Princess and The Runaway Dragon.

(FSG, 2009. Copy won in giveaway on Kate Coombs' blog Book Aunt. Thanks, Kate!)

No comments: