Friday, October 29, 2010

A Visitor for Bear by Bonny Becker

Bear doesn't like visitors. He has a sign: No Visitors Allowed. But one day even his sign doesn't deter a small, gray mouse. He pops up in the most unusual places--the cupboard, the bread drawer, the fridge, the teakettle. Will the mouse ever leave or will Bear finally decide he does like some visitors?

What I thought: How did I miss this book? I love it. Such a humorous story. I can't decide who to side with, Bear or Mouse. They're both so appealing. The repetition in the story makes It a fun read aloud for both reader and listener. The illustrations are charming. I like the detail (e.g., the contents of the fridge) and the soft colors. Denton (and Becker!) has created two very memorable characters in Bear and Mouse. They have distinct personalities--it's great! I can't wait to read the other Bear and Mouse Books.

Story Time Themes: Mice, Bears, Friendship




(Illus. Kady MacDonald Denton. Candlewick, 2008)

1 comment:

Brimful Curiosities said...

I really like this book, too. It is a bit longer so my toddler won't sit for it but it is a nice quiet book to read with a preschooler or older child.