Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wild Things by Clay Carmichael

Zoe Royster has learned to take care of herself. Her mentally ill mother often left her alone or at the mercy of one of her boyfriends. But after her mother dies, Zoe finds herself in a situation that she doesn't know how to deal with. Taken in by her Uncle Henry, Zoe learns about family and friends. Her chosen friends are not the usual ones an eleven-year-old girl has-- a feral cat and a wild boy.

What I thought: I couldn't put this book down. Zoe has such an authentic, compelling voice. I liked her right away. She's an interesting character. I don't know that I've ever read a story like hers before. The cat's perspective added so much to the mystery. I really helped build the climax. I've heard before that cats are all seeing and all knowing creatures. after meeting this one, I would have to agree. This is a great first book from Clay Carmichael. I look forward to reading what she writes next.

(Front Street, 2009)

No comments: