Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Year 7 at Hogwarts
First published 2007
759 pages, 36 chapters + epilogue
# on Top 100 YA Novels Poll (Adele of Persnickety Snark)

Harry's last year at Hogwarts really isn't. He, Ron, & Hermione set off to find and destroy the last of Voldemort's horcruxes in an attempt to render Voldemort powerless and mortal.

Memorable Moments: the wedding, Kreacher's change of attitude, the epilogue

Scenes for the movie: Well, I'm hoping all the scenes I liked make the movie, but I'll have to wait and see.

Reading Reflection: This book was tough to read. Not only is it the last book in the series, but there are difficult situations all the way through it. I liked the ending. Like most fans, I was seriously expecting Rowling to kill Harry off. It seemed like the only way to overcome Voldemort permanently. The Epilogue is nice. I can't wait to see what they do with it in the movie. Three years after reading the last book for the first time, I am still looking for the next Harry Potter. Nothing has quite lived up to the world Rowling created.

Just a reminder that Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 premieres in theaters on Friday, November 19.

I hope you've enjoyed my reflection on the last book in the Harry Potter series. My Harry Potter Reading Project isn't quite complete. I still plan to read and discuss Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts, and Tales of Beedle the Bard.

No comments: