Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes by Beatrix Potter

First published 1922
33 pages, 16 color illustrations

This second collection of rhymes from the creator of Peter Rabbit contains eight rhymes and charming illustrations.

The Rhymes: Cecily Parsley, Goosey Goosey Gander, This Pig, Pussy Cat, Three Blind Mice, Bow Wow Wow, The Garden, & Ninny Nanny Netticoat

The History Behind the Tale (Linder 251-253):
Like Appley Dapply, the rhymes in Cecily Parsley began long before the official publication. After Appley Dapply's popularity, Warne wanted a sequel. Due to Beatrix Potter's failing eyes, Cecily Parsley was a patched together affair using mostly old drawings.

My Thoughts: I wasn't as impressed with Cecily Parsley as I was with Appley Dapply. The rhymes are less original. I've heard most of them elsewhere (e.g., Three Blind Mice). My favorite rhyme was "The Garden."

Favorite Illustrations: Three Blind Mice (25), guinea pigs' garden (29 & 31)

I hope you've enjoyed my discussion of Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes. Next week, I'll explore The Tale of Ginger & Pickles and that will complete my Beatrix Potter Reading Project. Until next time, happy reading!

No comments: