Monday, February 14, 2011

The Night Fairy by Laura Amy Schlitz

Flory, a young night fairy, looses her wings in an accident. After she gets over the shock, Flory adapts rather well to her new life in a human's garden. She makes friends and grows stronger in her magic.

What I thought: What a beautiful story. The Night Fairy enchanted me from beginning to end. The story seemed to end too soon. Dare I hope that there will be another installment in Flory's adventures? The illustrations are as beautiful as the story. My favorites are Flory and Skuggle (29), Flory on the hummingbird (112-113), and Flory asleep (116). This book reminded me a little of my favorite fairy book, The Fairy Rebel by Lynne Reid Banks. Flory's story, like Tiki's, is not just a fairy story. It's an adventure story. Give older fairy fans Spell Hunter by R. J. Anderson.

(Illus. Angela Barrett. Candlewick, 2010)

No comments: