Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

Zookeeper Amos McGee takes care of the animals, but he's also their friend. He plays chess with the elephant, races the tortoise, sits with the penguin, makes sure the rhino has a hankie, and reads stories to the owl. When Amos catches a cold and has to stay home, his friends come to visit and entertain him.

What I thought: A charming story with equally lovely illustrations. When I first read the book (around November) it was already creating a lot of Caldecott buzz. Since then, it went on to receive the 2011 Caldecott Medal. I couldn't be more pleased. The illustrations are delightful. With their gray shading and touches of color, they remind me of picture books from the 1950s and 1960s. My favorite illustrations are the friends arriving and Amos and the animals at night. A Sick Day for Amos McGee was one of my favorite picture books of 2010. I can't wait to use it in my zoo story time.

Story Time Themes: Zoo, Friendship

(Illus. Erin E. Stead. Neal Porter, 2010)

No comments: