Monday, April 11, 2011

A Dazzling Display of Dogs by Betsy Franco

If you like dogs, this is the book for you. In cleverly constructed concrete poems and bright illustrations, you'll meet more dogs than you can imagine.

What I thought
: With her A Curious Collection of Cats, Franco introduced me to the fun world of concrete poems. Her second collection of concrete poems didn't disappoint me. Fun is the perfect word to describe it. Kids will love reading the poems and admiring the illustrations. My favorite poems are "Pug Appeal," Jake the Jack Russell Terrier," Bubbles," "Dog Haiku," and "Miss Olive's Teddy Bear." The illustrations are bright, colorful, and utterly appealing. My favorite illustrations are "Bubbles," "Crazy Combo," "Circling Poem I," and "Perkins' Tail."

(Illus. Michael Wertz. Tricycle Press, 2011)

No comments: