Monday, May 2, 2011

Pirates! by Celia Rees

Nancy is the oft un-thought of and forgotten daughter of a merchant. It isn't until he looses his fortune that he remembers Nancy. A daughter of marriageable age is after all quite a commodity. Sent to the plantation she doesn't know she owns, Nancy faces a forced/arranged marriage to an evil man. Nancy does what she must. Escaping first the maroons' camp, she makes the drastic decision to become a pirate. Minerva, Nancy's new friend, joins her. Piracy is an escape from slavery for her. For the next 12 years, the girls are pirates. Sometimes disguised as men and often not. The spoils are good and the life tolerable. But all the while, Nancy knows the evil Brazilian she ran from is pursuing her. Will she ever be free of him?

What I thought: A riveting book. Pirates! was so fast paced and action filled. Those lovers of The Pirates of the Caribbean films should definitely try this book. It's all there--the pirates, the action, the intrigue. From what I know (garnered mostly from movies), the historical details are spot on. Nancy's connection to the Brazilian adds mystery and suspense to the plot. I look forward to reading Celia's other novels.

I read Pirates! for the YA Historical Fiction Challenge.

(Bloomsbury, 2003)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog; hope you don't mind a newbie's comment. "Pirates!" sounds worth tracking down. I used to work in a library, and would see all the good new children's books. Don't work there anymore, but your blog seems like an excellent substitute.

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thanks, Monica! I like reading and reviewing children's books, but even more than that I enjoy sharing my reviews with other readers.

Thanks for reading!