Friday, June 24, 2011

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm

The Time: 1935
The Place: Key West

Eleven-year-old Turtle is spending the summer in Key West with her aunt and a multitude of boy cousins. Turtle gets to know the locals and joins her cousins on their neighborhood rounds. They even find a pirate treasure map before the summer is over.

What I thought: I enjoyed Turtle in Paradise. The 1930s is a time I like (probably because of The Waltons and my grandma who grew up during the depression). Turtle is an interesting character and a good narrator. Her toughness makes her quite reliable. The supporting characters are great. The Key West Culture was so interesting to read about. Cut ups and the other food mentioned made me hungry with a capital "H." When the book ended, I wanted more. That's always a good sign. Will we be reading more about Turtle in the future?

(Random House, 2010)

No comments: