Friday, July 15, 2011

Chuckling Ducklings & Baby Animal Friends by Aaron Zenz

You know all about ducklings, kittens, and puppies, but what about all the other animals? What do you call a baby platypus, llama, or swan? You're in luck! Chuckling Ducklings & Baby Animal Friends will educate you on what ordinary and extraordinary animal babies are called.

What I thought: A great idea for a book. I learned so much from reading this book. Baby animal names are something I've never really given much thought to. Animal group names, yes, (Murder of crows, anyone?) but baby animals, no. The illustrations are so cute. There's no other word for them. I mean cute in the most complimentary sense of the word. The colors are lovely bright pastels. I can't begin to name favorite illustrations (all of them!), but I love the last page that has a head shot of each animal and both the adult and baby names for them. This book is a great way to introduce the youngest children to the concept of baby animal names.

I first heard about Aaron Zenz through his interview with Jennifer Bertman on her blog. I couldn't wait to order Chuckling Ducklings after seeing the illustrations. Aaron ran a contest on his blog and I won an original illustration of a puppy (a Boston Terrier to be exact). Click here and scroll down until you see my name to see the illustration I won. I can't wait to see what he'll be doing next. I have added Baby Animals to my Fall story time line up.

Story Time Themes: Baby Animals

(Walker & Co, 2011)

No comments: