Friday, July 15, 2011

The Secret Ingedient by Laura Schaefer

Now that her grandmother's tea shop (The Steeping Leaf) is safe, Annie turns her mind to other important matters. She's entering a scone baking contest and she's determined to win. This is also the summer The Teashop Girls face the hardship pf growing apart. They each have individual interests. Annie's is baking. Zoe's is campaigning for an improvement in school food. Genna's is body image (to the point of self harm). Does being individuals mean they can't be friends?

What I thought: I continue to be charmed by Laura's characters. I loved The Teashop Girls ad the sequel is wonderful. The Secret Ingredient can be read as a stand alone novel. It's been a couple of years since I read the first book. but I wasn't lost in the plot. The incorporation of blogging and recipes is wonderful. I may just try one of Annie's scone recipes. This book touches on serious issues without coming across as weighty. I find it quite true to life. When may I expect the next book?


(Simon & Schuster, June 2011. ARC provided by publisher.)

No comments: