Friday, August 5, 2011

The Candymakers by Wendy Mass

The Contest: Candymaking

The Contestants:
Logan, the Candymaker's son- He can taste and correct any candy, but can he make his own?
Miles, allergic to the most unusual things- Will his candy win?
Daisy, strong for a girl with a horse for a best friend- Can she concoct a winning candy?
Philip, rich man's son- What's he scribbling in that notebook, recipes or something more sinister?

Will these four kids be friends or will the contest drive them apart?

What I thought: Okay, after reading this book, I'm seriously craving something sweet. The format of The Candymakers is intriguing. You only get one character's point-of-view at a time. This adds to the mystery. I thought I had the story figured out and then I'd get the next character's perspective. Though I haven't read Dahl's Charlie and Chocolate Factory (Gasp! Yes, I know my admission is quite shocking. ), I have seen the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The Candymakers puts me in mind of that magical film. I enjoyed this book. It just might be my favorite of Wendy's thus far.

(Little, Brown, & Company, 2010)

No comments: