Monday, September 26, 2011

The Body at the Tower by Y.S. Lee

(The Agency #2)

Mary Quinn's latest assignment for the Agency taxes her skills more than her first assignment did. Instead of a lady's companion, Mary must pass herself off as a pre-adolescent boy to investigate a mysterious death at a clock tower. Mary has only three obstacles: the danger around every corner, the compelling need to help her fellow workers, and the sudden and unexpected appearance of James Easton (You'll remember him from Mary's first adventure.) Can Mary avoid undue danger, quell her charitable urges, avoid another entanglement with James, and solve the mystery?

What I Thought: Very pleased am I to read the second book in the Agency series. Mary's new adventure is filled with excitement, suspense, and just a touch of romance. My only complaint: I would have liked more interaction between Mary and James. The historical details are top notch. My favorite adult mystery series (outside of the classic Sherlock Holmes) is Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries. I'm growing quite fond of the Victorian Era. I look forward to the next book in the Agency series, The Traitor and the Tunnel which is due to be published in February 2012.

I read The Body at the Tower for the YA Historical Fiction Challenge.

Read my review of A Spy in the House (The Agency #1).

(Candlewick, 2010)

No comments: