Friday, October 7, 2011

A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

300 years ago, Talia was warned about spindles and their danger, but apparently not often enough. She pricked her finger and, well, you know the rest.

Present day, Jack's on a tour of Europe. It's parent ordered so as you would imagine not very fun. In search of adventure, Jack stumbles upon Talia's long forgotten kingdom.

He kisses her. She wakes up. But all is not well. 300 years passed in the real world, not a fairy tale. Jack isn't Talia's true love. He didn't even know her, so why did she wake up? Was Jack's kiss a legitimate breaking of the spell?

What I thought: Fun! I like that Flinn takes the "fairy" out of the fairy tale. 100 years is nothing to Sleeping Beauty. Not so to Talia and her kingdom. The alternating points-of-view are great. I like seeing both main characters' thoughts. Alex Flinn didn't disappoint me. I liked A Kiss in Time as much as Beastly and Cloaked.

(Harper Teen, 2009)

No comments: