Friday, January 6, 2012

Charlie the Ranch Dog by Ree Drummond

Summary from Dust Jacket:

Meet Charlie.

He's a ranch dog. Breakfast is his life, especially when bacon is involved. Charlie has dangly ears, floppy skin, and big fat paws. And he loves living in the country. That's because he works like a dog...fixing fences, gardening, and helping his family out on the range.

Yep, it's all work, all the time for Charlie the ranch dog. In fact, he's probably working right now...Zzzzzzz....

A ranch dog's work is never done!

Come along as Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, introduces us to her beloved short-legged pioneer dog named Charlie.

What I thought: I've been dying to read this book since I first heard about it. I've liked Basset hounds since I watched Luther's dog Quincy on the old sitcom Coach. Charlie is so appealing and his outlook on life is cheerful if a bit shewed. The illustrations are grand. I read an interview somewhere and know how much work Diane put into them. My favorites are the cover, Charlie cataloging his features, Charlie and chipmunk eating, Charlie fishing, and on the porch. What I want to know is does Charlie really have a pet chipmunk?

(Illus. Diane de Groat. Harper, 2011)

2 comments:

KateCoombs said...

Thanks for reviewing picture books as well as books for older readers. Now I want to know about Charlie's chipmunk!

Bridget R. Wilson said...

You're very welcome, Kate! I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing your Hans My Hedgehog.