Monday, February 27, 2012

Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett

In a colorless town, Annabelle finds what she thinks is an ordinary box of yarn. But it's not. No matter how many sweaters she knits, Annabelle still has yarn.

What I thought: I really liked Extra Yarn. But I do have to stop and ask a question. Why is it that there are no picture books about crochet? As a crocheter and a children's librarian, I'm wondering. The story is magical and I really like the illustrations. The sweaters brighten everything up. My favorites are sweaters on animals and Annabelle in the tree. I'm not sure where this book would fit into a story time theme. It would be a great book to start off a National Craft Month (March) program for elementary age kids or tweens.


(Illus. Jon Klassen. Balzer + Bray, 2012)

No comments: