Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu

Hazel thought she and Jack would be best friends for life. But one day, Jack changed. He was cold toward Hazel and she didn't understand why. It couldn't be as simple as Jack outgrowing her, could it? Of course not. When Hazel discovers the real reason behind Jack's attitude change she knows only she can rescue him.

What I thought: Next to Inkheart, Breadcrumbs is probably the most beautifully written book I've read in awhile. Hazel is a wonderful narrator. Her word choice is unique and expressive. I like that the title is a bit misleading. Knowing just the title and that the book is fairy tale inspired, I assumed it was a retelling of Hansel and Gretel. I'm glad I was wrong.

(Illus. Erin McGuire. Walden Pond Press, 2011)

No comments: