Friday, March 16, 2012

Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under by Marianne Berkes

Meet Aussie animals you know like the kangaroo and some you've probably never heard of such as the brogla in this beautifully illustrated and highly informative tribute to Australia's animals.

What I thought: This book works on so many levels. First, it's a concept picture book about counting. Second, it educates readers about Australian animals. Thirdly, the hidden animals will intrigue the children. I didn't notice them until the book told me to look again. The illustrations are gorgeous. I'm fast becoming a fan of cut paper collage. I can hardly pick favorites, but I really like the lorikeets and the bilbys. The additional information at the end of the book is fabulous. Where was this book last summer when I was reading and teaching about Australia during the summer reading program? The activity guide was especially helpful. I loved the interview with the illustrator. It was nice to get an inside look at her technique. Maybe I'll try cut paper collage one day in a program with my library kids.

(Illus. Jill Dubin. Dawn Publications, 2011)

No comments: