Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology Poems by Gail Carson Levine

Summary from Amazon.com: Inspired by William Carlos Williams’s famous poem ”This Is Just to Say,” Newbery Honor author Gail Carson Levine delivers a wickedly funny collection of her own false apology poems, imagining how tricksters really feel about the mischief they make. Matthew Cordell’s clever and playful line art lightheartedly captures the spirit of the poetry. This is the perfect book for anyone who’s ever apologized . . . and not really meant it.

What I thought: I remember studying William Carlos Williams' poetry in college. The red wheelbarrow poem stood out more to me than the apology poem, but I like what Levine has done with it. The sprinkling of fairy tale characters was nice. I might even try writing one of my own. My favorite poems are Sleeping Beauty, Jack's cow, Rapunzel, and the Princess and the pea. I'm making a copy of the authors introduction and try my hand at false apology poem soon. It might be fun to be wicked...on paper at least!



(Illus. Matthew Cordell. Harper, 2012)

No comments: