Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The 3 Little Dassies by Jan Brett

The 3 little dassies (Mimbi, Pimbi, and Timbi) leave home in search of a new home--cooler, less crowded, and safe from eagles. They think they have found it at the foot of a mountain. Mimbi builds a house of grass. Pimbi builds one of driftwood. Timbi builds her house out of stones. Will their houses keep them safe from the eagle at the top of the mountain?

What I thought: A delightful version of "The Three Little Pigs." I wish I had had this book last summer when Africa was my story time theme. The illustrations are colorful and classic Jan Brett. I'm growing quite fond of her foreshadowing (or "meanwhile") borders. The illustrations are so detailed. I went back to look again them again after I'd read the story. My favorite illustrations are Timbi looking out of her house and the last page. One of the best things about The 3 Little Dassies is that it's short enough to share with preschoolers. Maybe I should plan folktales story time for the fall.

Story Time Themes: Folktales, African Animals, the 3 Little Pigs

(G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2010)

No comments: