Thursday, October 18, 2012

Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen

Will Scarlet is just another member of Robin Hood's band. Scarlet is good at stealing and fighting with knives. No one ever notices him and Scarlet likes it that way. If people look too closely, they might see what she's hiding. That's right. Will is a girl with unusual skills and a painful past she won't mention. Her life in Nottingham is predictable if not pleasant, but that all changes when Gisborne arrives. The thief taker is the one person Scarlet fears. Can she trust Robin and his band with her secrets?

What I thought: Wow! I can see why Scarlet was chosen as a 2012 Teens' Top Ten Nomination. The two items that struck me most...Will Scarlet is a girl and the language. This book begs to be read aloud. I also enjoyed that reader's are kept in the dark right along with Robin and his men about Scarlet's secrets. The ending was fantastic. I would love there to be a sequel. I checked out the author's website. Scarlet is a standalone novel, but she's not saying she'll never write a sequel. I think readers will want a sequel (I know I do) and they may even write their own. On a side note, I'm as equally fascinated with the Robin Hood legend as A. C. Gaughen.

(Walker and Company, 2012)

No comments: