Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Secret Letters by Leah Scheier

Dora Joyce is too observant and questioning to be a proper young lady. She also suspects the infamous detective Sherlock Holmes is her father. Her identity quest comes to a screeching halt when she finds out Holmes is dead. However, all is not lost. She meets Peter Cartwright, a budding detective, who will help her cousin and give Dora a chance to prove herself.

What I thought: An enjoyable book, but I wasn't drawn into Secret Letters as much as I was the Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer. Dora's interactions with Peter are the best bits of the book. I love how plucky she is. Dare I hope there might be another book? Give this to fans of historical mysteries (think the Mary Quinn series by Y. S. Lee).

(Hyperion, 2012)

No comments: