Thursday, March 21, 2013

In a Glass Grimmly by Adam Gidwitz

Companion to A Tale Dark & Grimm

Jack and Jill did more than go up a hill and tumble back down. Here is the true adventure they had in all its unvarnished glory complete with blood, gore, and goblins.

What I thought: I still marvel at the skill Adam Gidwitz possesses to successfully weave together different tales into a cohesive novel. I didn't find In a Glass Grimmly as gory as A Tale Dark and Grimm. Perhaps because I survived reading the first one. The frog was quite a humorous addition. I still love the intrusive narrator. Urging the reader to stop reading will only entice her to read more. I loved Adam's essay "Where Do These Stories Come From?" at the end of the book. One day, I might just attempt what he's dome with his fairy tale books.

(Dutton, 2012)

No comments: