Thursday, March 28, 2013

One Year in Coal Harbor by Polly Horvath

Sequel to Everything on a Waffle (link to my booktalk)

With her parents returned from being lost at sea, Primrose Squarp is more than a little surprised that her life is not back to normal. Her former foster parents have a new kid, an older boy named Ked. Primrose takes him under her wing and includes him her plan to publish a cookbook. Try as her might, a romance between her friend Ms. Bowzer and her Uncle Jack is not forthcoming. Primrose is her usual quirky self.

What I thought: It's been about 4 years since I read Everything On a Waffle and met Primrose Squarp for the first time. I remember liking the book but not much detail. Reading the sequel, One Year in Coal Harbor, has renewed my interest in Polly Horvath. Primrose is a wonderful heroine. Her voice is fresh and inviting. I would liken her to Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Her interest in cooking and collecting recipes was quite fun. I copied three of the recipes and have already tried one (Tater Tot Casserole). Primrose's attempts at matchmaking are hilarious.

It seems to me that there are a lot of middle grade and young adult books that have cooking as a theme. Here's a partial list with links to my reviews:
Close to Famous by Joan Bauer
Pie by Sarah Weeks
The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler
It's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa Schroeder
The Teashop Girls by Laura Schaefer
The Secret Ingredient by Laura Schaefer
Eggs over Evie by Alison Jackson
Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me if I missed any titles.

Other Books by Polly Horvath (links to my reviews)
The Vacation
My One Hundred Adventures
An Occasional Cow


(Schwartz & Wade, 2012)

No comments: