Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Spring Teen Events

At one of my branches, I host a preteen/teen event every month. It works best for me to include ages 11-17 at this branch. Here's what I did this spring:

In February, we had a Fairy Tale Movie Night in honor of the Grimm Brothers' birthdays (one in January & one in February). I always provide movie options and let the teens vote. Choices for this event included Tangled, A Cinderella Story, Enchanted, Inkheart, Ella Enchanted, Shrek, Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton), Mulan, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Princess and the Frog, The Little Mermaid, and Sydney White. I also had a book display of fairy tale retellings and poetry.


March is National Craft Month and as such, I always like to do something crafty. This year we had a National Craft Month Extravaganza and made paint chip bookmarks and pixel art with candy. Both ideas came from Pinterest.

 
I always like to do something to celebrate National Poetry Month in April. This year, I planned a Puzzles and Poems event. We worked jigsaw puzzles and created found poetry using 2 different methods: book spine poems and blackout poetry.


I wanted to do an easy yet enjoyable event in May as I would be in the midst of finalizing summer reading plans. I went with a game night and we played Apples to Apples. Everyone had a great time including me!

No comments: