Friday, September 13, 2013

#Flannel Friday: Pete the Cat

Pete the Cat is a great character and I'm so glad I included a Pete the Cat themed storytime in my fall schedule. I did a couple of things to extend the stories via the flannel board. The first was a felt version of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes. I got the patterns for Pete, the shoes, strawberries, oranges, lemons, grapes, mud, water (not pictured), and blueberries from Make Learning Fun. I decided I wanted a few more colors so I used clipart from Microsoft Office to make a watermelon and avocado. I free cut the cement and used a clipart image I found online to make the black beans.
 
 
After reading the book, we use the felt set. I ask the kids to identify the objects around Pete and then their colors. After we do that, I ask them what they'd like Pete to step in. When they tell me, I change his shoes. I then ask if Pete cried when he stepped in the whatever. They answer no and I ask what he did. They respond he kept on singing.
 
After reading Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons, we play a "where are the buttons game". I was inspired by Tracey's post on 1234 More Storytimes.
 
I used this image from clker.com for the cats. Kathryn's post of Ten Kitty Cats on her blog Fun with Friends at Storytime inspired the use of the cats. I made 20 in various colors. I call these guys Pete's Posse. Behind 4 of them, there's a flannel button hidden. The kids pick a cat, identify the color, and then look for a button. Lots of fun was had by all at storytime this week!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This turned out great!

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thanks, Lisa!

Kathryn said...

Wow! This post is Fantastic!! You are very ambitious to do that many colors for Pete and 20 different cats! Great sets!!

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Thanks, Kathryn!