Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl Event

In the spring, I hosted my third American Girl event. Kit Kittredge was the focus. This was an interesting event for me to plan as my own grandma and Kit would have been the same age.

The first thing girls did when they entered the room was use a Hobo Name Generator to get their own hobo names. Mine was Mississippi Fry-pan Drew.

I talked a little about the 1930s and the Great Depression. Fun stuff that the girls would find interesting: games invented, at the movies, and the fact that TV didn't exist in the 1930s. I also used Christene's Quick Facts of the 1930s to illustrate what life would have been like then.

I had several game options:
  • Alphabet Traveling
  • Japanese Fan Race 
  • Clothespin Drop
  • Drop the Handkerchief
  • Hopscotch


The girls chose to play Japanese Fan Race, Drop the Handkerchief, and Hopscotch.


For the craft we used dice drawing sheets from Expressive Monkey. This was a nod to Kit's friend Stirling who was quite a good artist.



The refreshments were authentic to the 1930s: Ritz Cracker Bits, 3 Musketeers, Tootsie Pops, and lemonade.


I displayed books about and from the 1930s (with a book list) as well as other American Girl books.


The girls took home 2 pages from the Kit Kittredge event kit (Penny-Pincher Puzzle & Make Your Own Hobo Code) as well as a Drawing Fortune Teller from Expressive Monkey.

Resources for planning this event included:
Kit Kittredge movie website
A query to PUBYAC
Judicious use of Google and Pinterest

My next American Girl event will be Kaya in November in honor of Native American Heritage Month.

No comments: