Friday, August 8, 2014

Where Have I Been?



Apologies for the sparse posts during the summer. I have 3 more events to go before my summer events are truly over. This summer has kicked my butt! 161 events over eight weeks and accomplished in 36 days.


Everyone had fun, but both program attendance and reading contest participation were down at my branches. I've been following the discussion of a summer reading revolution on the Storytime Underground Facebook group and various blog posts. I'm really considering making some changes next year.


I've been so busy this summer, I haven't had a chance to post my storytime and school age event plans to my wiki yet. I used these storytime themes this summer: colors, weather/seasons, plants, numbers/math, water, movement/sound, five senses, and animals. For the school age (7-12), here's what I did: Leo the Great/Airplane Science, Cryptozoology, backyard Naturalists, It's Mathematical, Sink or float, Build It (Life size Angry Birds), Candy Science, and Animal Partnerships.


I did 2 events per month for teens this summer. Blog posts will be forthcoming: Chocolate Wars (borrowed from Kelly Jensen) DIY T-Shirt Workshop (ideas from Pinterest & prompting from my teens), Life Size Sorry (inspired by pictures on Pinterest), movie night, Mythbusters (borrowed from the Iowa Summer Reading Program workshops), and Hunger Games Party.


In the midst of this, like a good librarian, I was also planning (selecting would be a better word as the planning comes later) my fall storytime schedule and special events. For storytime, I'm going with an alphabet theme. I've never done this before and am really looking forward to it.


Here are the special events I have lined up for kids this fall: Pete the Cat Party, Life Size Candy Land, Preschool Dance Party, Frozen Party, Little Women event (December 25 this year marks the 20 year anniversary of the release of the film starring Winona Ryder), Adventures in Fairy Tales, Origami & Games, Elephant & Piggie Party, Harry Potter Party, and Kaya: An American Girl Event.


Here are the teen events I'm planning (thanks to input from my teens): Once Upon a Time, Sherlock Party, Minute to Win It, and Movie night (with popcorn, s'mores, and cocoa bars...thank you Pinterest!)


So faithful readers, I'll soon be back to a regular blogging schedule with program plans, book reviews, and Flannel Friday posts. I hope you have survived the summer as well!

No comments: